Monday, May 13, 2013

Accepted by AFS-Italy

So, today around 1p.m. I got got on my email and I got an email from AFS-USA saying:
Hi Shayla,

Congratulations! AFS-Italy has just accepted your application!

Next, AFS-Italy will match you with a host family*. This is a complex process and may take some time. It is common for host family information to be provided during the month prior to your departure.

I was excited because it is Official that I was going to Italy, but I kind of already knew I would be accepted. But it only makes things more real. I mean I didn't even realize that I depart 3 1/2 months from now until my mom was talking and said it. Wow, I am really unprepared because I truly have 1 million things to do, and I am so happy that Italys depart in September instead of July or August. Again I have to wait but this will probably be one wait that I am so happy to experience because I know that AFS-Italy is looking for me a family in Italy(smiles at the computer).

I am soooo happy this is really happening and I have to wait to get my online Rosetta Stone login info, which some kids are not very happy about doing, but I on the other hand am very glad that AFS-Italy not only gives us Rosetta Stone but that they also give me a language tutor for my first few months there. As I read through current AFSers in Italy blogs they all say they didn't get the hang of the language until like 4 months in and that was just for conversations, so now I am really glad I am doing a year instead of a semester. I already started learning Italian on my kindle with the Babbel app for Italian, and I am doing okay at it, but it is getting more and more difficult.

I also got a letter in the mail with the information about my local PDO at the University of Cincinnati but it was more like directions, and who was going to be there. A lot of kids say that PDO's are boring but the kids from my chapter actually really enjoys it! So I am actually really excited to go because I want to learn all of the info I can before I go to Italy.

My emotions about going abroad is varying minute by minute. Obviously I am more than excited about going, but some moments I realize that I will not see my mom for 10 months and I think about how much I'll miss her, even my siblings. But, I never ever felt like I didn't want to go (I mean this is all I would talk about doing for the last 2 years) but I realize that this is not a vacation or a time to just go partying every night (no matter what my friends think lol) I am going to study a new life, culture, language, be around new people. All very exciting but I know that it will be work, I am not going to pretend that it will be easy because I know it wil be hard. But I seriously have dreams now of me waking up in Italy which makes me happy because I have never been in Europe.

Something that also registered in my head is that I am not going to be able to listen to hip hop music over there as I do here, which is a little sad because I love music but it is not a huge issue, I mean that is what itunes and youtube is for. But I am excited to actually get an authentic taste of Italian food. YUMMY!!! I am concerned that I will gain a ton weight while I am in Italy so I hope I can take up a sport or go to a gym, If not I will have to hold back on binge eating Italian food. And I can't wait to try gelato and go to a disco! The more that I talk about Italy the more ready I am to go!!! I don't think there really is much else for me to talk about for now... I will try to update how my PDO goes and all of that fun stuff.

Arrivederci,
Shayla


Also a song that I fell in love with is called Young and Beautiful by Lana del Rey. It is like my life in a nutshell. And it is on the Great Gatsby soundtrack, enjoy!
http://youtu.be/o_1aF54DO60

No comments:

Post a Comment