Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Some updates on things to do before departure and expectations

So, I didn't really expect to hear from AFS in awhile because I just turned in my application 6 days ago. But then I got some emails from AFS today and I was like "Woah this is happening quicker than I thought" but when I think about it I did submit my application very late. Anyways, the first email I recieved was from my application advisor stating:" I am attaching a new form from AFS-Italy, which you should get filled out with the help of your school counselor. It would be ideal if you could get this form completed and email it to me by the end of next week (May 10).
AFS-Italy wants to know what courses your US school would like you to take while on program."
It came with two attachments, one of which was the form that asked about classes. So now I have to go to my counsler again about what classes he wants me to take. The thing is I will be abroad my senior year so I only would need 20 credits to graduate, the only credit I would need to graduate would be 1 english credit (which I am taking this summer) so the form also states if there is no preference that I could write down the classes I would like to take. YAY!!! even though I am not guaranteed these classes I write down, I am happy to know that they will put it into consideration when choosing a host school for me.

Then literally an hour later I got another email stating that I will be applying for a Type D, Visa for Minors also including "Please review Step 1 and Step 2 IMMEDIATELY to book your visa appointment, as the spots are filling up quickly." (eerliy similar to turning in my full application) they also gave me a website with the steps I should take to get a visa and also told me to book my appointment between July 29th to August 7th. I have to say I was extremely shocked getting an email talking about visa stuff because I thought it would come later, like in the summer. It just made things really real time is ticking and I have a lot of stuff to do before taking off to Italy in September. I checked the website that was given and figured out that the Consulato D'Italia for my jurisdiction was in Detroit. I was hoping I wouldn't have to travel far but there is also a honorary consulate in Cincinnati (which I hope I can go to instead) because I don't want my mom to stress out about driving 4 hours to Michigan.

After I tried to research what I will need (still in limbo about that) I got an email from my advisor like a half hour later stating that she was just checking in and she wanted to make sure that if I had questions to direct them towards her. Oh and she also said, "Additionally, setting up an appointment at your Consulate is something that you should do by the end of this week." (TIP to future applicants, AFS is very on top of trying to get all the info in quickly, so please stay on top of that or else it will stress you out.)
Back to the email, I knew they said spots were filling quickly; however, this was way quicker than I thought considering today was Wednesday so I basically have 2 and 1/2 days to schedule appointment. So I have to figure out whatever I am going to do tomorrow far as which Consulate I am going to and when. (another note: the application process can be very long and consist of a lot of waiting if you complete it earlier, but once mid Spring comes, the process really picks up and you will stay busy with exchange things.)

On a funner note The Greater Cincinnati AFS Chapter is having their pre-departure orientation (PDO) this month on May 18th at the University of CIncinnati which will be like 10 or 12 of us there. I am so excited because I do not know any of the other outbound students in my region so I hope we will click and get along. I heard it is all day, and the morning portion parents can participate in but the afternoon is just us students. (I know this is a shot in the dark, but I hope someone else will also go to Italy this fall or at least come to New York in September. I have to wait and see) I haven't gotten a letter yet, but this was all explained to me at my interview at Olive Garden (where i got a large scholarship) but when I get the letter I will write about it. I am sooo excited to go to it because it will be my first pre-departure orientation of many to come!!!

Also, I had a random moment when I thought about adaptors, and sure enough I will need to buy adaptors because Italy had different wall prongs, so I purchased 2 for $13 on a website called TravelSmith. I also am on the Facebook group with the other kids from all over the world coming to Italy this September and they all seem really nice & I can't wait to see them in Rome. Something commonly discussed is host families, one of the most exciting emails I cannot wait to recieve. I honestly have no expectations because I don't want to picture a host family and get a total different one and somehow get upset. Also, which region people want to stay in, I'll admit I do kind of have a pre-mature picture of where I would stay but I try to erase that because I don't want to dream of staying in a beach house in Sicily and end up in somewhere in the north. Personally both the north and the south will make me happy! And I will also get to experience both worlds because AFS-Italy has exchange week so I will end up in both regions either way. It is crazy to dream that a year from now I will be almost fluent in Italian, with a family, friends & only 2 months left of exchange. However, that is a year from now so I will have many memories before May 2014. In addition, I will make a video blog during the process and hopefully be able to keep up with it.

I also found this video on Youtube of the current AFSers in Italy you have to watch it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpKugs15wwc
Just when I thought I couldn't get more excited to be an AFSer.

Ciao
Shayla


No comments:

Post a Comment